Books are free entertainment that often provides the same satisfaction we get from watching films. Aside from costing us nothing or inexpensive, books usually brings more benefits to the readers. As an enthusiast, perhaps you don’t know the benefits you can get from reading books. In fact, being entertained is the only benefit you know you can get when you read.
As a book lover, there are many different facts you need to know about them. Most of these facts are quite basic yet important to many people. If you love reading, you should know these facts about books. After all, it’s always better to know what you are doing from the bottom of your heart. Here are some facts about books most readers do not probably know.
- We can find blank pages on the first few and last pages of a book. Intentionally blank pages are often the result of printing techniques. Most books have at least a few blank pages. Usually, they are found at the very end of a book. Some people use these pages for writing important things about the book. Others leave the blank pages as they are.
- Do you know who invented the word “boredom”? The brilliant author William Shakespeare came up with this word along with several other words that we often use nowadays. Most of us know who William Shakespeare is. However, almost all of us do not know that he invented words like boredom.
- Children’s books make up a good number of the books published all around the world. In fact, most countries spend at least billions just to publish these books. In the UK, L2.2 billion is spent on books each year. A fifth of this amount goes to children’s books.
- Lewis Carroll, author of the famous Alice in Wonderland has added 21 words to the English language, according to Oxford English Dictionary. Just like Shakespeare, Carroll also contributed to the English language by adding more to our vocabulary.
- In 1931, the Chinese government banned Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland for an absurd reason. The banning of the book was based on the fact that talking animals were an insult to humans. Other than China though, Alice in Wonderland was openly received by many countries around the world. Today, Carroll’s book is still a favorite among many children and adults as well. In fact, various movies were made from the book since the late 90s up to the present.
- The famous author of children’s books, Dr Seuss never had children. Although married twice in his life, Theodor Seuss Geisel never had kids with his two wives. When asked why, Dr Seuss often replied with “you have ’em, I’ll entertain ’em”.
- In America, the annual Theodor Seuss Geisel Award is being celebrated by children and adults alike. Dr Seuss has paved the way for children to enjoy reading books at a younger age. He spent a good amount of his life in making sure our kids will learn a lot of different things from books. In return, America recognizes his efforts by making sure he ends up in being remembered by children and parents.
- The Bible is one of the most common books sold on bookstores all over the world. At least two and half billions of Bibles were published. They will make the longest shelf in the world if put on a long bookshelf. In some countries, families have at least one or two Bibles in their house. Bibles are given out for free by many religious groups. In fact, thousands of Bibles are handed out for free in many different countries.
- Sherlock Holmes was written by an ophthalmologist because of financial needs at that time. An eye specialist during that time was not a good profession in terms of financial earnings. As a result, A. Conan Doyle wrote the book to make ends meet. Surprisingly, his novel became a hit. In fact, Sherlock Holmes is one of the most popular mystery novels ever written in the history of man. Today, there has been lots of movies about the book both for children and adults alike.
- Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle or more popular as A. Conan Doyle began writing fictional stories while in college. “The Haunted Grange of Goresthorpe” was one of his first writings. Although unsuccessful, he continued his writing even after he acquired his degree in medicine.
- The average number of books bought by Americans on a daily basis is five million. Half of those books are never read or finished by the readers. Libraries in America house millions of books. Some of the books are also never read.
- Books are no longer the first choice of kids nowadays. Children only read books at school or at home when they are told to by their parents. However, some kids still love reading books. As good as they are before, books still provide lots of benefits to the readers.
- Books are great memory enhancers and mental stimulators. You can actually improve your analytical thinking skills by reading books on a regular basis. If you want to widen your vocabulary, you can start by reading books either fictional or non-fictional. Aside from enhanced memory and vocabulary, your writing skills will be vastly improved when you spend time on reading books.
- Kids can start reading books at an early age. Experts recommend early reading to give your kids a head start. If you want your kids to have self-esteem, encourage them to read books instead of playing computer games. Reading isn’t only good for the brain, it’s also good for building confidence.
- Women find men who read books sexy. If you think that women are only attracted to active men, a good number of women are attracted to men who read books. In case you’re having a hard time making the opposite sex to notice you, perhaps you need to visit the library more often. According to studies, women think of men who read books as sexy and intelligent at the same time.
- Women spend more time reading books than men do. In fact, men only read books when they are bored or don’t have anything to do with their time. Women on the other hand prefer reading books even if they have something else to do.
- Romance is one of the most popular genre among the books published. People love reading books about love more than anything else. Do you know what else people love reading about? It’s about violence. Books about war, crime, and revenge also draw the attention of the readers. Writers often focus on love and hate because they get the attention and interest of the readers much easier.
- Anyone can write books as long as you have a good story, correct grammar, and a pen name. However, only a few writers get to see their works accepted by the public. Most of the writers don’t get the patronage they deserve from the readers. Millions of books published on a yearly basis don’t get back a good profit. In fact, numerous books don’t sell because of various reasons. One of the reasons is because most people buy what’s hot and trending nowadays. This is a fact you should know about books too!